Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Dominican Slang

Dominican Slang 


 I like to consider myself a person who knows quite a bit of Spanish. I am not fluent by any means but I know enough to get around and have some conversations with others. But when I first got to the Dominican I was really thrown through a loop. I felt (and still sometimes feel) as if I couldn't understand even the simplest phrase. But just as every other country, they have their own way of speaking. So I thought I would share a  list of Dominican words and slang that I have picked up, and hopefully help you guys out: 


  1. "Chin" - A little bit
  2. "Colmado" - A small convenience store
  3. "GuaGua" - A bus
  4. "Miso" -What to say to call a cat
  5. "Chivi" -What to say to call a dog
  6. "Tato" -Everything's good
  7. "Ven Pa'ca"- Come here
  8. "Heavy"- Cool/Awesome
  9. "En Olla"- I'm broke
  10. "Broma" -Joke
  11. "Jablador" - Liar/Person that talks a lot 
  12. "Dios Le Bendiga" -God bless you
  13. "Manso" -Calm/Quiet 
  14. "Ahorita"-Later
  15. "Varon" -Nickname for a (Typically religious) man
  16. "Como Le He Ido" -How is it going? 
  17. "Tigre" - Someone with street smarts (so be careful) 
  18. "Poloché" -Poloshirt
  19. "Titirimundati" -Everybody 
  20. "Chercha" - Group of friends
  21. "Chivo" -Acting strange
  22. "Tú Ta Pasao" -You're crazy/You've crossed the line
  23. "Motoconchos" -Motorcycle taxi
  24. "Dame Una Bola" - Give me a ride
  25.  "Dime Que Hay" -Tell me what's new



No comments:

Post a Comment